Thursday, August 20, 2009

sleep issues

Ari is what they call an "active baby." He is active even in his sleep: he wiggles out of his swaddle in minutes, makes tons of noise and generally is good at waking himself up. This is most especially true when we try to put him down to sleep in his bassinet... or pack and play... or crib. He wants to sleep with mom or dad, or the one place we can't leave him unsupervised: on a pillow on the cuddler. He will sleep in his bed maybe one in four times, basically when he is super exhausted and totally knocked out. On one hand I think it is cute that he is so snuggly. On the other hand I am getting very frustrated with hardly ever being able to put him down and not getting to sleep in -my- bed at night. We have tried the following to try to remedy this issue:

- we have tried all three of his potential beds
- we swaddle him (have tried tighter and looser swaddling, as well as various types of blankets)
- keeping his lullaby music on after putting him down
- holding him for awhile after he falls asleep so that he is fully asleep before we try to put him down
- propping up one end of his bassinet a couple inches so he's not laying totally flat

Of course this would not be an issue if we wanted to co-sleep for the next few months or years, but we really don't. I don't know what else to try. He is way too little to try 'crying it out,' and I'd like to avoid that if possible anyway. 

He is six weeks old today. I don't have any new pics b/c it is hard to take them during the day when I hardly set him down between all the nursing and naps, and by the evening when Sean is helping I am just not motivated to get the camera out. Doh! I'm tired of typing one-handed so this is all for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment