The nurse and/or tech is supposed to do an hourly check. It depends who is on shift but this usually ends up actually being every 1.5-2 hrs. A tech comes and takes my vitals every four hours or so; a nurse does her check up once per shift (they work 12 hour shifts, 7-7, so this means twice per day). A doc comes in once per day. My doc is on vacation so it has been one of the two that cover for her. I have had the same techs a couple times but so far I have had a different nurse every single shift! Anyway. So...
7:30 - 8 ... I wake up, wash up, etc.
8:00 ... A tech comes in, takes my blood pressure, etc.
8:30 ... Breakfast is served. The food here is typical hospital food, but breakfast is probably the meal they do the best with.
9:00 - 11:00 ... The nurse will come in sometime during this period and test my reflexes, listen to my heart etc, and use the doppler to listen to the baby's heart beat. Food service also comes back in and takes my lunch order (we get two choices). The tech will sometimes stop back in just to see if I need anything ("hourly" rounds). Today I also got a visit from Sister Sylvia, a staff chaplain. Between all these check-ins I usually play on the web and/or watch TV.
11:00 - 12:30 ... Things are a little quieter. I read, watch TV, do a crossword or whatever. Sometimes take a short nap. Typically the tech will check in once and take my blood pressure again, for the four hour mark.
12:30 ... Lunch is served.
1:00 - 4:00 ... Sometimes the doc comes in, unless they already came in the morning. This typically consists of: "Well, your blood pressure isn't too bad, but it's not great either." And maybe I ask a question or two. A nurse or tech checks in a couple times. The cleaning crew stops in to do their thing. Food services comes to take my dinner and breakfast order. My sweet husband arrives sometime in this timeframe if it is a weekday. Sometimes my mom also, depending on which day of the week and her work schedule. Around 4 a tech takes my vitals again.
4:00 - 8:00 ... Hang out with my husband and sometimes my mom. Eat dinner (so far I haven't had to eat a hospital dinner after the first day, it is by far the yuckiest meal of the day - either hubby or mom bring me something else). Sean and my mom take off by 7 or 8. Tech checks my vitals again around 8pm. Nurse checks in sometime after 7pm (after the shift change), does her check up, listens to baby's heart beat etc.
8:00 - 11:00 ... Shower, watch TV, read, go to bed.
Midnight ... A tech wakes me up to take my vitals.
12:00 - 4:00 ... Usually have to use the bathroom a couple times; tech takes my vitals again around 4.
4:00 - 7:30 ... Usually have to go to the bathroom somewhere in there (again!) and then get up for the day.
On Mondays and Thursdays they are taking me down to a different building to do non-stress tests on the baby, and also a sono once per week. They come and get me whenever they can fit me in, I don't usually get any notice about what time this will be other than sometime during the work day hours.
This afternoon my co-workers are bringing my baby shower to me. :) They had scheduled it for today to happen at the office and initially I had my doc's permission to go, but of course that changed. So my team is coming by around 1pm, it will be good to see everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment