Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Boy, Girl, or.... Surprise :)

So, I *think* we decided NOT to find out the gender of the baby via u/s.

I started thinking about it more yesterday because Renee's friend had a baby boy this week, that they fully anticipated was a girl. I haven't found any actual data on it but just from stories/anecdata, especially from folks who work in L&D, it seems like this happens more often than one might imagine. I would be so.... overwhelmed? if that happened to us. When the doctor pulled Ari out, he jokingly announced, It's a girl! I about had a heart attack - we knew he was a boy but I was thinking, OMG, was the u/s wrong?? Or is he/she a hermaphrodite? Is there something wrong??? I could have slapped the dude if I could have reached him. Not the time to make a joke, jerk. He was probably trying to lighten the mood but really he just made the whole experience worse!

Part of me wants to know so that I can PLAN PLAN PLAN. Because that's how I am. Then when I stop to think about it... what is there to plan with this pregnancy? Not much that relates to gender. I don't have a nursery to decorate, and even if I did the baby wouldn't actually sleep in there for a long time anyway. I will need to buy clothes and pick out a name, that's about it. It doesn't seem too hard to buy a week or two's worth of gender neutral clothes and then buy more after the baby is here; and of course baby won't care what it is wearing anyway. Picking out names for both genders will, I admit, be a PITA because Sean is the pickiest dude ever about names. :P But it's not *that* big of a deal. Not like we don't have time.

I'm glad I found out with Ari because my heart was set on a girl - everyone else was sure it was a girl too. I'm actually really grateful that I found out midway and had time to adjust and get used to the idea of having a boy. This time though? I really don't care nearly as much. I kind of want another boy but a girl would be fun as well... More than anything I am just hoping for a healthy, full term pregnancy and baby. I think wanting to find out the gender will also be a good incentive during labor!

So yeah. We have time to change our minds, and I have to get an u/s regardless to check placenta location.... but I think we're going to leave it to be a surprise!

1 comment:

  1. I think it will be the best surprise ever if you can hold out!

    ReplyDelete